Friday, August 17, 2012

A Few More Western Thoughts



My favorite park to visit when doing my fast southwestern tour was Bryce Canyon in southern Utah.  As you can see from the picture above, it looks like there are hundreds of little orange and sand colored spikes - kind of like the "dribble castles" you can make with fine wet sand at the beach.  These formations are actually called "hoodoos" and they are the result of erosion of the sand + limestone.  Although Bryce doesn't get a lot of rain, the combination of rain, frost and time have shaped these cathedral like spires.  And better yet, unlike the Grand Canyon, it only takes about a 1/2 hour to walk down into the canyon from select areas in the park.


Funny Story...

For my trip from San Francisco to Utah, I let the GPS do most of the work ( I do cross check the map briefly to make sure the GPS hasn't sent me off on a unpaved or side road).  After spending the night in Tonopah, I was on my way out to southern Utah when I turned onto route 375 South in Nevada.  All of a sudden my GPS announced - "Travel 99 Miles on the Extraterrestrial Highway."  I thought this was some sort of mistake, there hadn't even been a sign at the intersection.  I pulled over and reset the GPS to make sure I heard it correctly.  I drove 50 miles before I got to this sign in Rachel, NV - sure enough I was on the Extraterrestrial Highway that parallels Area 51 to the southwest - cool!

Will be doing a few more posts about the journey home - making a few more stops in the Midwest before arriving home!  Can't believe seven weeks are almost done!

No comments:

Post a Comment