Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Mountains Around Salt Lake City




Bringham Young, one of the leading figures in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, must have only seen a very small part of the mountains when he brought his people into the valley that would become Salt Lake City.  I drove through one of the canyons on I-80 into Salt Lake, and I thought I had seen it all. (The highway just kept going down and down and down...)  Then, I visited some of the local ski resorts, Alta,  up one of the other canyons that opens up into the valley and it was amazing!  You go from 95 F degrees  in the valley to a cool almost damp 65 F degrees in the mountains.  The watercolor sketch you see above is probably at about 10,000 feet and the clouds were literally riding up the mountains along the ridge and small lake from where I was sitting.

I had a great few days in Salt Lake City staying with my great friends from RISD Max and Laura.  They love hiking and getting outdoors and it was great to get up in the mountains where it was cooler.

The view above is from one of the hills on Antelope Island which sits about five miles off the shore in the Great Salt Lake and is connected to the mainland via a causeway.  The island is about 30 miles or so north of Salt Lake City, and it's a state park.  Most importantly it has a sandy beach so I could go "swimming" in the Great Salt Lake.  Yes it sounds more romantic than it is, you basically go in the, float around for ten minutes, then get back out and take a shower - but it's off the bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment