Tuesday, July 10, 2012

First Week Recap



The view of downtown Minneapolis from across Lake Calhoun, one of the numerous city parks that surround and are part of the Minneapolis and St. Paul metro area.  It's even big enough to have a few laser sailboats.  Remember to click on the images to make them a little bigger!

I spent a "rest day" in Minneapolis after staying in Chicago for a few days.  A big thanks to Dave and Kate for letting me spend the night.  The Minneapolis Institute of the Arts is currently hosting a traveling exhibition on Rembrandt, a must see for art lovers!




One more building sketch from Chicago.  This is the headquarters for the Chicago Tribune Newspaper on Michigan Avenue.  It's right across the street from the Wrigley Building - see my previous post!

I spent three full days visiting Chicago - still not nearly enough time to get to do all the city, but I was happy to absorb the architecture and surroundings.  There are a few more pocket parks and sight lines in Chicago which makes it easier to paint and sketch than Manhattan.  A big thank-you to the Oldfield Family for hosting me on my trip!


My first stop on my trip was with Laura Nalesnick in Pittsburgh, PA.  This is a view of the Incline Trolley that goes up and down on the steep hill that borders the Ohio River and downtown.  The trolley is controlled by riding a cable that hauls it up/down the track.


I wanted to also show a snapshot of Cincinnati's train station, a beautiful example of Art Deco architecture done in the 1930s.  The station is still in use today and also houses a large museum and the Amtrak Station.

2 comments:

  1. TEEK, the Minneapolis painting makes me nostalgic - it was my home for many years. Beautifully done!

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teek, OMG the Chicago Newspaper headquarters painting is absolutely FANTASTIC. Wish I could buy that one too! Love from your biggest Swedish and Irish fans :-)

    ReplyDelete